There are a lot of options when it comes to choosing your first E-cigarette and it can be quite overwhelming to decide which one to use.
It’s important to think about what you want from your device to prevent you from giving up out of frustration. Choosing the right E-cigarette for your individual needs can make the difference between creating an enjoyable experience or throwing the towel in because it just isn’t working for you.
If you are a smoker or a person who has recently quit, you will probably want an E-cigarette, and e-liquid, that replaces the nicotine you’re used to getting from your traditional cigarettes.
There are many choices of e-liquid available in many different flavours. If your goal is to quit smoking, and just to use an E-cigarette as a means to quit, you would be better to go for a simple option.
Essentially disposable e-cigarettes, or two-piece cartomisers, are a simple short-term solution for reducing your nicotine habit and may help you go beyond your nicotine addiction. Should you wish to continue to enjoy nicotine in a safer way more long-term, it would probably be a good idea to look into rechargeable vaping devices.
Rechargeable and refillable vaping devices afford you the opportunity to choose which e-liquid you want to vape. Most will also have the option to customise your vaping experience to your desired taste.
It’s also important to find an E-cigarette which feels’ right for you. It will need to meet that tactile experience as well as the way it feels to inhale the vape.
Finally, you may also be guided by cost. Some devices can seem like an expensive outlay initially, especially if you are not sure about which one you should choose. If you are on a limited budget, you may want to consider starting with one of the cheaper options.
Disposable E-Cigarette/2-piece Cartomiser
There are devices on the market that look a lot like a regular cigarette, these are the disposable e-cigarettes known as Cig-a-likes. This is often the most popular choice of e-cigarette for beginners as they are the cheapest and easiest to use out of all the models.
Cig-a-likes are an easy option for a person to pick up and use even if they have no vaping experience. They are small, discrete an often disposable, however, they are non-refillable and flavour choices are limited. Some of the newer styles now come with a re-usable battery base.
There are pros and cons to all of the E-cigarettes. These are the main ones for cig-a-like e-cigarettes:
- They look and feel similar to a traditional cigarette
- Easy to get hold of
- Little or no maintenance is required
- The initial outlay is inexpensive
- Easy to use, with either a simple button to press or just automatic turn on when you puff
- The cartridges can only hold a small amount of e-liquid which means they need replacing often -This can become expensive if you use a lot of cartridges
- Not many e-liquid flavours or strengths to choose from
- Poor durability means the unit needs to be replaced more often
- Battery life is very short
- Only produce a small amount of vapour and can be unsatisfying for someone who has recently quit smoking
A lot of vapers consider the pen-style vape devices as the best option for beginners.
With the pen-style e-cigarette, you have a lot more options when it comes to choosing e-liquids. Battery life is longer than the cig-a-likes and they are still relatively simple to use and cheap to buy.
Most pen-style vape units have refillable tanks that enable you to choose which type of e-liquid you wish to refill with. You can also choose which level of nicotine and PG/VG ratio suits you best. You will also have the satisfaction of having bigger and better cloud production.
Of course with a refillable tank, you will have to learn to empty, refill and clean it yourself. As well as maintain the atomiser which includes installing and priming the heating coils. Some brands have pre-built coils or replaceable coil heads that make it easier for beginners to install.
All pen-style e-cigarettes are not created equally. As a beginner, getting the hang of a new device, it is not only advisable to seek help from someone who has experience, or watch an instructional video, but also to choose a good model to begin with. You should look for a model that has fewer pieces to it and pre-built coils.
The main pros and cons of the pen-style e-cigarettes:
- They are refillable and as the tank is bigger, the E-liquid lasts longer
- You have thousands of different e-liquid flavours and strengths to choose from
- Although initial outlay is slightly more, in the long run they are far more cost-effective
- They are a lot more durable
- Battery life is longer than that of the cig-a-like
- A more satisfying vapour cloud is produced
- Finally, they are relatively simple to use
- You will need to learn to maintain and clean the device to keep it working well, including the atomiser and replacing/priming coils
- Some models require you to wrap your own coils and wicks
- It can be tricky to refill an empty tank
- They are more bulky and obvious than a cig-a-like
- Initial startup cost is slightly more than a cig-a-like device
The Basic Box Mod
Taking the next step up brings you to the box mods. Basic models are still fairly simple to use but it’s worth seeking advice to make sure you get a device that suits your needs. Box mods are more powerful and have more features than the first two types of e-cigarettes we’ve discussed.
Most box mods feature a digital display with buttons that give you more control over the features such as temperature and voltage. You should make sure that you choose a regulated box mod which will have controls and safety features to prevent you accidentally setting your mod to a dangerous configuration.
Box mods have larger tanks, batteries and more customisation choices. You may be able to switch out parts such as the tank and atomiser enabling you to switch between liquids more quickly and easily.
As a box mod has more features and options, they are more complicated to use and maintain. You will still need to learn to maintain the atomiser and tank as with the pen-style e-cigarette, but you will also need to understand all the extra controls safely.
If you are a more tech-savvy new vape user, or you have someone who can help you understand the controls, then this won’t prove too much of an issue. However, if you are not comfortable using the technology, then you may wish to stick to a simpler device.
- Larger refillable tanks
- Often removable longer lasting batteries which mean you can switch them out and recharge as needed
- More durable
- Digital screen readout
- Larger vapour clouds are produced
- The initial layout can be expensive
- Bulkier than previous models
- Understanding the options and features can be confusing and may require you to change your own coils and wicks
- Adjusting the heat, voltage and wattage settings requires sound knowledge to guarantee safe usage
When starting out, stay away from the models that have more flashy design features and keep it simple. If you find a mod too hard to use, you will get disheartened and probably give up.
If in any doubt ask an expert to help you. Vape shops are a great place to start if you’re new to E-cigarettes. They can offer advice on all aspects of vaping and make sure you have all the knowledge and kit necessary.